A toast to our country and our common values: unity in diversity.
With winter and lockdown in full effect, we would like to share a fun, rainbow-dusted recipe to pair with Symmetry Spice tonic essence: A Cape Malay Vegan Curry Potjie. The naturally produced concentrated African tonics capture the very essence of Cape botanical heritage. Naturally low in sugar and made from real plants, anyone can enjoy them.
Symmetry Spice tonic captures the flavours of Cape Malay cuisine and scents of Karoo fynbos.
Cape Malay Vegan Curry Potjie
- Coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small knob of ginger, finely grated
- Malay curry spice: cinnamon, curry leaves, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, cardamom, 2 cloves and chili flakes as an option.
- 300g butternut, peeled and cubed
- 300g sweet potatoes, cubed unpeeled
- 1/2 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 50g tomato paste
- 400g whole peeled tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 400g butter beans or chickpeas, drained
- Place the Potjie Pot over some braai coals or over a gas oven.
- Gently heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions. Fry until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry for 3 minutes, or until aromatic and golden.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetables (except the beans) stir until well coated in the spice mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the peeled tomatoes and top with a bit of stock if needed. Bring to the simmer and cook for 30 – 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Then add the butter beans or chickpeas and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Traditionally, once the potjie is filled, it shouldn’t be stirred or fiddled with.
- Serve your vegetable potjie with golden roti’s, fruit chutney, tomato-and-onion sambal, and garnish with fresh coriander.
Symmetry Spice tonic water
- Fill the glass with ice. The larger the ice blocks the better.
- Pour 50 ml of Symmetry Spice Tonic essence over ice.
- Top up with +150ml of soda water to taste.
- Garnish with a lemon rind and a cinnamon stick.
Order Symmetry Spice tonic water on: