Get ready for a culinary adventure weekend in the Karoo.
Karoo slow-food chef Gordon Wright and his lovely wife Rose are from the town of Graaff-Reinett. Gordon sets the standard for modern Karoo cuisine and as the founder of the Karoo Convivium and a member of the national executive of Slow-Food international in South Africa, he lives, breaths, laughs and drinks Karoo.
The price of R3500 per person includes 4 cooking sessions, all meals, listed excursions and recipes.
- 12:00 Arrive at African Relish and settle into accommodation.
- 13:00 Light lunch prepared by Gordon and our resident chef. Meet the team and discuss the schedule.
- Lunch: Venison pie & bottled quince served with smoked mash potatoes and crispy seasonal vegetables.
- 14:00 Cooking Session 1. Preparation for Friday dinner. Demo by Gordon Wright – debone lamb for lamb rump. Making Andouille sausage. Prep mini potato bakes. Prep bacon for smoking.
- 18:00 Ghost walk and village ramble – Ailsa Tudhope, historian and story teller, takes you on a journey back in time with tales of ghosts and village rogues from the past.
- 20:00 Welcome dinner at African Relish.
- On the menu: Starter – Bacon wrapped figs baked in honey with blue cheese, Main – Roasted lamb rump, Mini potato bake (Veld to Fork pg 127), Seasonal vegetables with butter and salt (pg129), Dessert – Grandmother’s baked custard served with poached seasonal fruit.
- 08:30 Visit to Saturday market for some local flavour.
- 09:00 Breakfast at African Relish includes a blueberry coulis with Gay’s Guernsey Dairy plain yogurt + muesli
- Recipe from Karoo Food Pg 47 for liver pot. 10:00 Cooking Session 2. Lunch preparation and techniques. Bone Broth for dinner starter, brine and smoke the chicken for lunch. Smokey Joe Session consists of smoked salt, almonds, fish, cheese.
- Rooibos smoked trout pate.
- 13:00 – Light lunch at African Relish: Smoked Chicken Breast on a fresh salad.
- 14:30 Cooking session 3. Smoke bacon prepped on Friday. Stuff and smoke sausages made Friday. Make blueberry and sage sausages. Preparation of Saturday dinner dishes.
- 17:00 At leisure
- 20:00 Saturday dinner, enjoy the fruits of the day’s culinary endeavours.
- On the menu:
Starter: Roasted marrow bones with sourdough bread. Bone broth. Main: Pan-fried duck breast with orange juice and red wine, carrot and olive salad, garlic parsnip mash, beans with roasted almonds and crispy bacon. (Veld to Fork page 130). Dessert: Old fashioned steam pudding served with Gay’s Dairy clotted cream
- 07:30 Gather at African Relish for coffee and rusks. Botanical excursion with Dr Sue Milton, renowned botanist and specialist in Karoo biome biology.
- 10:00 Cooking session 4. Breakfast, a hands-on cooking session with Gordon and our resident chef. Breakfast smorgasbord of what was smoked the previous day. With Royal tartar (Karoo Food page 64)
Price excludes accommodation and drinks.
Directions to African Relish
34 Church Street