Spoil mom this Mother’s Day (Sunday, 10 May) with some heart-healthy treats and desserts from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook.
The Cooking from the Heart cookbooks contain more than 100 recipes that have been developed for Pharma Dynamics by well-known healthy food consultant, Heleen Meyer and dietitians from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. They are all easy to make, affordable and consist of essential ingredients, which make them ideal for cooking during the lockdown.
Try these delicious heart-healthy treats that’s sure to warm mom’s heart this Sunday:
Baked Sticky Pudding Recipe
Most baked puddings are very sweet. The combination of buttermilk and ginger makes this an interesting variation of a well-loved favourite.
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground ginger
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apricot jam
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white grape vinegar Syrup
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) apple juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Combine the flour, sugar and ginger in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix oil, eggs, milk and buttermilk and stir in the bicarb until dissolved.
- Mix in the jam and vinegar. Gradually stir liquid into the flour mixture until a smooth batter forms, with no lumps.
- Pour the batter into an oven dish and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Syrup: Meanwhile place all the syrup ingredients in a small pot. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until syrupy.
- Prick the warm pudding with a fork and pour the warm syrup over. Allow the pudding to absorb the syrup. The pudding will sink quite a bit as it absorbs the syrup. Serve warm with fresh fruit of your choice like pears or bananas.
- Soak ¼ cup chopped dates in hot water. Add with the vinegar to the batter.
- Chocolate pudding: Substitute 2 tbsp of the flour with cocoa.
Go to www.cookingfromtheheart.co.za to download your favourite Cooking from the Heart recipes – free of charge!
For more tips on heart-healthy cooking during the lockdown, follow Cooking from the Heart author, Heleen Meyer on Facebook!
The Cooking from the Heart initiative forms part of Pharma Dynamics’ overall wellness campaign, to promote healthy eating among the South African public in a practical, affordable and tasty way.