Spoil mom this Mother’s Day (Sunday, 10 May) with some heart-healthy treats and desserts from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook.
The Cooking from the Heart cookbooks contain more than 100 recipes that have been developed for Pharma Dynamics by well-known healthy food consultant, Heleen Meyer and dietitians from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. They are all easy to make, affordable and consist of essential ingredients, which make them ideal for cooking during the lockdown.
Try these delicious heart-healthy treats that’s sure to warm mom’s heart this Sunday:
Milk Tart Recipe
This no-bake custard filling is delicious and easy to make.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soft tub
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) ground
- ¾ cup (180 ml) cake flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole-wheat
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla or almond essence
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- Crust: Preheat oven to 180 °C. Beat together the margarine and sugar. Add the egg and mix well.
- Mix cinnamon and flours together. Gradually add to the egg mixture to form a soft dough. Press the dough into a 22 cm tart or pie dish.
- Prick with a fork and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Filling: Place milk in a pot, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Beat eggs and sugar well.
- Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Stir into egg mixture.
- Add half the milk into egg mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the milk and stir well.
- Return to a low heat and stir all the time. Allow to simmer very gently until it thickens – at least 10 minutes.
- Stir vanilla in and pour into pie crust. Allow to cool and refrigerate. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.
Go to www.cookingfromtheheart.co.za to download your favourite Cooking from the Heart recipes – free of charge!
For more tips on heart-healthy cooking during the lockdown, follow Cooking from the Heart author, Heleen Meyer on Facebook!
The Cooking from the Heart initiative forms part of Pharma Dynamics’ overall wellness campaign, to promote healthy eating among the South African public in a practical, affordable and tasty way.