Spoil mom this Mother’s Day (Sunday, 10 May) with some heart-healthy treats and desserts from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook.
The Cooking from the Heart cookbooks contain more than 100 recipes that have been developed for Pharma Dynamics by well-known healthy food consultant, Heleen Meyer and dietitians from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. They are all easy to make, affordable and consist of essential ingredients, which make them ideal for cooking during the lockdown.
Try these delicious heart-healthy treats that’s sure to warm mom’s heart this Sunday:
Apple Pudding Recipe
Apples and cinnamon are comforting flavours. Swop your custard or ice cream for plain low-fat yoghurt.
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, seeds removed and cut in wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sunflower oil
- ¾ cup (180 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) plain low-fat yoghurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon Syrup
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick optional
- Place apples with 2 tbsp of water and the cinnamon in a pot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until just tender, but not mushy.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Beat sugar and eggs until well blended. Add oil, milk and yoghurt and mix well.
- Combine the flours, baking powder and half the cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Beat liquid into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon apples into an oven dish and pour batter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
- Syrup: Meanwhile, place all the ingredients in a small pot and stir over a low heat.
- Simmer for a few minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Prick warm pudding with a fork or skewer and pour syrup over. Sprinkle with the rest of the ground cinnamon. Serve warm with plain low-fat or fat-free yoghurt.
Make the pudding with fresh pears as above. Or use a tin of pie apples or peach slices and leave out step 1.
Go to www.cookingfromtheheart.co.za to download your favourite Cooking from the Heart recipes – free of charge!
For more tips on heart-healthy cooking during the lockdown, follow Cooking from the Heart author, Heleen Meyer on Facebook!
The Cooking from the Heart initiative forms part of Pharma Dynamics’ overall wellness campaign, to promote healthy eating among the South African public in a practical, affordable and tasty way.