Being stuck at home during the lockdown period can make cooking three meals a day quite a challenge. What’s more, finding ways to create healthy balanced meals can get tedious after a while.
Fruits and vegetables are a great source of Vitamin C, and fruit juice high in vitamin C can give you an extra healthy boost.
Try using juice in your cooking, or enjoy it chilled straight from the glass – these easy recipes from Rhodes Quality 100% fruit juices are all high in vitamin C so you can ensure you’re getting some goodness, with a lot of deliciousness.
Try these ideas for inspiration:
pineapple and passion fruit smoothie, apple juice granola, apple and kiwifruit salad dressing, easy pancakes with sweet orange sauce and a mango sunrise mocktail.
Easy Pancakes with Sweet Orange Sauce – goodness and delicious
● 250 g cake flour
● 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
● 1 ml (¼ t) salt
● 2 eggs
● 125 ml (½ C) sunflower oil
● 5 ml (1 t) vinegar
● 750 ml (3 C) milk
● a little sunflower oil for frying
500 ml (2 C) Rhodes Quality 100 % Orange Fruit Juice
190 ml (¾ C) Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
19 ml (¾ C) orange liqueur (Triple Sec or Cointreau) (optional)
30 ml (2 T) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
125 ml (½ C) butter, cubed
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
4 segmented oranges or naartjies
1. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
3. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added – a smooth pourable batter.
4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
5. Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
6. Add about 65 ml to 125 ml (¼ C to ½ C) of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
7. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for a further 1 minute on the other side.
8. Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
1. Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
2. Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
4. Add the liqueur if using and the lemon juice.
5. Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
6. Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
1. Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
2. Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.
A simple layered, easy-to-make pancake dessert, filled with fruity bites and cream. Topped with a sweet orange sauce.
Global Hard Seltzer craze hits South Africa. Hard Seltzer, sparkling water with real alcohol and a dash of fruit juice, is fruity, low in calories, carbs and sugar. Hard Seltzers’ bring excitement and versatility to any social occasion and have become increasingly popular with both men and women. The global sensation began in the US […]
Assortment of top chefs combine for sustainable seafood cookbook – counting our very own celebrity Chef Siba Mtongana. The collaboration aims to encourage shoppers to make the best environmental choice when buying the seafood they love! The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) – an environmental not-for-profit – is launching its first FREE sustainable seafood cookbook in […]
Are you a sushi enthusiast? We are as well. But we love a great sushi special even more! If there is a half-price sushi special, you just have to take advantage of it. All-you-can-eat sushi? Yes please. We will be adding a summary of all sushi specials in Cape Town to this page. We will […]
The Normal Burger by Kauai is a super cheeky, super delicious, super healthy way to satisfy every burger craving. Goodbye highly processed meats, excess salt and sugar, and crazy preservatives, flavourants and colourants. Hello to a made fresh to order burger made with natural ingredients that’s actually good for you. The Normal Burger, born in […]
Calm Natural Mineral Water originates from the pristine slopes of the Cederberg mountain range! The business was conceptualised a year ago and launched during lock-down, making the best out of a bad situation and bringing a new concept to our shores: Water in a can! The water is naturally filtered through layers of Cape Sandstone […]
The makers of BOS Ice Tea, celebrating their 10th birthday this month, have a fun new product for you to enjoy this summer. BOS Fruit Icys are a healthy freeze-at-home fruit ice confection. Made with a combination of organic rooibos and real fruit juice with no added sugar or preservatives, they are a dairy-free refreshing […]