Being stuck at home during the lockdown period can make cooking three meals a day quite a challenge. What’s more, finding ways to create healthy balanced meals can get tedious after a while.
Fruits and vegetables are a great source of Vitamin C, and fruit juice high in vitamin C can give you an extra healthy boost.
Try using juice in your cooking, or enjoy it chilled straight from the glass – these easy recipes from Rhodes Quality 100% fruit juices are all high in vitamin C so you can ensure you’re getting some goodness, with a lot of deliciousness.
Try these ideas for inspiration:
pineapple and passion fruit smoothie, apple juice granola, apple and kiwifruit salad dressing, easy pancakes with sweet orange sauce and a mango sunrise mocktail.
Easy Pancakes with Sweet Orange Sauce – goodness and delicious
● 250 g cake flour
● 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
● 1 ml (¼ t) salt
● 2 eggs
● 125 ml (½ C) sunflower oil
● 5 ml (1 t) vinegar
● 750 ml (3 C) milk
● a little sunflower oil for frying
500 ml (2 C) Rhodes Quality 100 % Orange Fruit Juice
190 ml (¾ C) Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
19 ml (¾ C) orange liqueur (Triple Sec or Cointreau) (optional)
30 ml (2 T) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
125 ml (½ C) butter, cubed
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
4 segmented oranges or naartjies
1. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
3. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added – a smooth pourable batter.
4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
5. Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
6. Add about 65 ml to 125 ml (¼ C to ½ C) of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
7. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for a further 1 minute on the other side.
8. Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
1. Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
2. Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
4. Add the liqueur if using and the lemon juice.
5. Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
6. Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
1. Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
2. Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.
A simple layered, easy-to-make pancake dessert, filled with fruity bites and cream. Topped with a sweet orange sauce.
Spoil mom this Mother’s Day (Sunday, 10 May) with some heart-healthy treats and desserts from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook. The Cooking from the Heart cookbooks contain more than 100 recipes that have been developed for Pharma Dynamics by well-known healthy food consultant, Heleen Meyer and dietitians from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. […]
A beautiful dish just in time for winter… With the days getting shorter and the temperature dropping, it’s time to add a little heat to your life. This Chilli Con Carne recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. Change up the seasonings to spice things up even more, or if you prefer it a little milder. The […]
A message by Marelize Lubowski from Marrow: With the national lockdown, there are impacts that some of you might not be aware of, but one of them is that people are desperate, and mostly hungry. Communities and homes are not able to feed their families. It’s real, and it’s scary. I know all of us […]
How are you doing your grocery shopping during lockdown? You may not wish to go and drive to your closest grocery store to minimise the risk. While everyone is trying to be as safe as possible, wearing masks and keeping their distance, you might have been thinking of having your groceries delivered during this time. […]
Jordan Wine Estate want to encourage all customers to stay safe at home during the lockdown but this does not mean that you can’t plan ahead to have a Jordan experience in the future. We will be counting down the 21 things to do at Jordan wine estate to give you something to look forward […]
We all know what to do when life gives us lemons, but what about when life gives you another citrus fruit? When life gives you oranges, we suggest you make something more than marmalade. Monkey Shoulder scotch blended malt whisky is made for mixing, and challenges you to put those oranges to good use by […]