Being stuck at home during the lockdown period can make cooking three meals a day quite a challenge. What’s more, finding ways to create healthy balanced meals can get tedious after a while.
Fruits and vegetables are a great source of Vitamin C, and fruit juice high in vitamin C can give you an extra healthy boost.
Try using juice in your cooking, or enjoy it chilled straight from the glass – these easy recipes from Rhodes Quality 100% fruit juices are all high in vitamin C so you can ensure you’re getting some goodness, with a lot of deliciousness.
Try these ideas for inspiration:
pineapple and passion fruit smoothie, apple juice granola, apple and kiwifruit salad dressing, easy pancakes with sweet orange sauce and a mango sunrise mocktail.
Easy Pancakes with Sweet Orange Sauce – goodness and delicious
● 250 g cake flour
● 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
● 1 ml (¼ t) salt
● 2 eggs
● 125 ml (½ C) sunflower oil
● 5 ml (1 t) vinegar
● 750 ml (3 C) milk
● a little sunflower oil for frying
500 ml (2 C) Rhodes Quality 100 % Orange Fruit Juice
190 ml (¾ C) Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade
19 ml (¾ C) orange liqueur (Triple Sec or Cointreau) (optional)
30 ml (2 T) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
125 ml (½ C) butter, cubed
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces in Syrup, drained
4 segmented oranges or naartjies
1. Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Whisk the eggs, oil, vinegar and milk together.
3. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour forming a thick lump-free batter at first, then as more liquid is added – a smooth pourable batter.
4. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
5. Turn the heat to medium and pour off any excess oil.
6. Add about 65 ml to 125 ml (¼ C to ½ C) of batter to the pan and swirl the pan around so that the batter settles in an even layer.
7. Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until the base is golden before flipping over the pancake and cooking for a further 1 minute on the other side.
8. Transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
1. Place the Rhodes Quality 100% Orange Fruit Juice in a small saucepan.
2. Add the Rhodes Quality Seville Orange Marmalade and heat to boiling point.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened.
4. Add the liqueur if using and the lemon juice.
5. Increase the heat and bring the mixture back up to just below boiling point.
6. Remove from heat and add the butter, one cube at a time, mixing each cube in well before adding another.
1. Layer the pancakes in a stack alternating with a layer of the orange or naartjie segments, the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, and the cream.
2. Pour the orange syrup over the pancakes and serve.
A simple layered, easy-to-make pancake dessert, filled with fruity bites and cream. Topped with a sweet orange sauce.
An iconic recipe; the Angostura Rock Shandy is the first choice in South African restaurants, country clubs and cocktail bars; and an ambassador for modern home entertaining. Home entertaining is the buzz word for 2020. For obvious reasons, more people are embracing the entertaining-at-home trend and the drinks industry has answered in kind with prebatched […]
The makers of BOS Ice Tea, celebrating their 10th birthday this month, have a fun new product for you to enjoy this summer. BOS Fruit Icys are a healthy freeze-at-home fruit ice confection. Made with a combination of organic rooibos and real fruit juice with no added sugar or preservatives, they are a dairy-free refreshing […]
Are you a sushi enthusiast? We are as well. But we love a great sushi special even more! If there is a half-price sushi special, you just have to take advantage of it. All-you-can-eat sushi? Yes please. We will be adding a summary of all sushi specials in Cape Town to this page. We will […]
Restaurant Rescue Project: Sijnn Wines adopts Café Charles! The last months have been particularly challenging for the hospitality industry. At Café Charles, they had to adapt their business model and change the way they work. The management went from a full restaurant operation employing 22 passionate team members to a lock-down deli & takeaway allowing […]
A beautiful dish just in time for winter… With the days getting shorter and the temperature dropping, it’s time to add a little heat to your life. This Chilli Con Carne recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner. Change up the seasonings to spice things up even more, or if you prefer it a little milder. The […]
A message by Marelize Lubowski from Marrow: With the national lockdown, there are impacts that some of you might not be aware of, but one of them is that people are desperate, and mostly hungry. Communities and homes are not able to feed their families. It’s real, and it’s scary. I know all of us […]