There is so much power in the plant kingdom for health and healing. And from vibrant fruits and vegetables, irresistible nuts and grains, to wonderfully delicious and umami-rich mushrooms, it’s all really good eating!
Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases.
If you don’t want to forgo animal products, mushrooms really are an amazing companion food to meat or an excellent meat-substitute due to their meaty texture and adaptable taste profile. They are also easy to find and prepare, making mealtimes a cinch.
The diverse flavours of mushrooms can expand your palate and reinvigorate your appetite and tastebuds. Visit www.mushroominfo.co.za for plant-based burgers, pizza, buddha bowls and curries that will literally open up your world.
Curried Mushroom & Kale Quinoa Bowls
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced into petals
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp hot curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 200g kale, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter, no sugar added
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400g white button mushrooms, sliced
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Fresh coriander, for serving
- Heat oil in a large buffet casserole over medium-high heat.
- Add red pepper and onion. Cook briefly until the onion has just softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the kale and cook until just wilted.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the peanut butter.
- Stir and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chickpeas and mushrooms. Stir well.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly and the mushrooms are cooked but retain some texture and bite.
- Remove from the heat and squeeze over fresh lime juice.
- Serve in bowls over freshly cooked quinoa with extra lime wedges and plenty of fresh coriander.