Veggies have come a long way since Meatless Monday.
They’re celebrated on restaurant menus, supermarkets are lining up their shelves with veggie-based meals and home cooks have been fired up by fast and easy meatless meals. Top of the heap are umami-rich mushrooms. Not only are they spectacular in the flavour category, they’re also low in fat, high in fibre and antioxidants and packed with vitamins and minerals.
To celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Week (10 May – 16 May), we’ve highlighted some of our favourite recipes:
- Oriental Mushroom Tacos
- Caramelised Onion, Mushroom & Mascarpone Crustless Quiche
- Wholewheat spaghetti with mushrooms, kale and hazelnuts
WHOLEWHEAT SPAGHETTI WITH MUSHROOMS, KALE AND HAZELNUTS (BUTTON AND BABY BUTTON)
Serves 4 – 6
- 500g wholewheat spaghetti
- 45ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 100g baby button mushrooms
- 100g kale, chopped
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 100g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 30ml flat leaf parsley
- 60ml Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 30ml dukkah (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- dukkah (optional)
Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the garlic for 1 minute. Add the button mushrooms and baby mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the reserved spaghetti and the kale and cook for 3 minutes, or until the spaghetti is heated through. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients. Toss to combine. Serve at once with extra Parmesan cheese and dukkah, if desired.