If you’re looking for light yet filling recipes to start your day as well break your fast during Ramadan, here are a few packed with nutritious mushrooms.
Nourishing and delicious these meal ideas will not only help you stay energised they will fill you up without filling you out!
Have a look at these two delicious recipes:
- Creamy Cashew Nut & Mushroom Curry
- Spicy Portabello Shakshuka Recipe
Creamy Cashew Nut & Mushroom Curry
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 400g portabellini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Rice, fresh coriander, toasted cashew nuts and finely sliced red onion
- In a large pot over medium heat, fry the onion, garlic and ginger in ghee along with all the spices. Cook until the spices become fragrant and the onion is tender. Add in the tin of tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through the cashew nuts and remove from the heat.
- Add about 1 cup of cold water to the sauce and then carefully transfer to a blender or use a stick blender. Blend until smooth and set aside. Taste for seasoning.
- Fry sliced mushrooms in the remaining ghee.
- Season with curry powder, salt and pepper
- To the cooked mushrooms add the blended sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and cook for a minute.
- Spoon curry onto a bed of rice and top with fresh coriander and toasted cashew nuts.