We’re thrilled to present a culinary gem perfect for the festive season.
Roasted Hake on Tomato & Mushroom Lentils. Picture succulent hake fillets, perfectly roasted, resting on a bed of robust tomato and mushroom lentils—a symphony of textures and flavors that promises to take your cooking skills to another level.
At the heart of this masterpiece lies a sautéed blend of sweet tomatoes and earthy mushrooms, creating a luscious base for the star of the show—the crispy-on-the-outside, moist-on-the-inside roasted hake. Join us in celebrating a year of delicious discoveries, and here’s to many more to come!
Roasted Hake on Tomato & Mushroom Lentils
- 400g Portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 cup / 220g brown lentils
- 750ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 baby marrows, diced
- 4 x 125g hake fillets (or similar sustainable white fish)
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green side salad, for serving
- Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray is also ideal for cooking as it allows for good coverage and fewer calories.
- Heat a drizzle of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil in a large pot or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Sauté the mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, lentils, stock and thyme.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until the lentils are tender and have absorbed most of the liquid but remain a little saucy. About 30 minutes.
- Add the baby marrow and simmer for a few minutes until tender.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and taste to adjust seasoning.
- When the lentils are almost tender, preheat the oven on the grill setting.
- Place fish fillets on a baking tray.
- Brush the hake with the mustard.
- Sprinkle with the dried herbs and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in the upper third of the oven and roast for 5-7 minutes until just cooked through.
- Serve the roasted hake on a bed of the warm mushroom lentils along with a crunchy green side salad and enjoy!