According to the THP 2020 Flavour & Trend Forecast*, Michelin star restaurants around the world will be increasingly seeking out traditional ingredients from some of the oldest civilizations this year, particularly Central and South America.
The SA Avocado Growers’ Association (SAAGA) has taken its cue from this prediction, and in 2020 is celebrating the ancient origins of homegrown South African avocados (South Africa is one of the world’s major avo producers, after all) with a nod to Mexico as the undisputed primordial homeland of the avo.
Researchers believe that people in Puebla, South Central Mexico, were tucking into avos as long as 10 000 years ago, while evidence suggests Mesoamerican tribes first domesticated the avocado tree 5 000 years ago. This makes avo cultivation as old as the invention of the wheel!
Avos’ ancient Mexican roots also include alleged super powers. The Aztecs, for instance, believed the fruit gave supernatural strength to whoever ate it. The Mayans too believed the avo held mystical powers, calling it the fruit of the gods.
Today avos still have magical powers – they miraculously transform any dish, taking it from gaudy to glam in seconds!
Nachos Salad Jar
A great work lunch that can be prepared ahead (meat or chicken may be added)
Makes 2 large jars
- Place a tablespoon of salsa in the bottom of each jar, and top with guacamole.
- Divide the vegetables between the two jars, layering first the carrots, sweetcorn, black beans, red pepper, onion, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Roughly chop the avocado, and mix with half the coriander, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place spoonfuls of avocado on the top, and squeeze over the lime juice. Garnish with extra coriander and serve with nachos and extra salsa.
Green Avo Sauce, mega Veggies & Avo on Hard shell taco with charred Pineapple & pickled red Onions
Ingredients for the Green Avo Sauce
Method for the Green Avo Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine, allow to mix until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a small bowl and cover with a film of plastic wrap, pressing it gently into the top, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Ingredients for the Tacos
- Lay out the tortillas and top with the veggies.
- Serve drizzled with green avo sauce and garnish with lime wedges and extra coriander.
Vegan Breakfast Tostadas with refried Beans, Mushrooms, Baby Potatoes, Cherry Tomatoes, and Avocado
- 8 Tortillas
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 150g refried beans
- 200g baby button mushrooms, grilled
- 200g new potatoes, roasted
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salsa and coriander to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°c and spray two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray and place them in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Lightly season them with salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the tortillas are crispy like a chip. Alternatively the tortillas can be deep fried in hot oil, although we recommend the healthier option of the oven .
- To serve: peel and dice the ripe avocados. Place spoonfuls of the refried beans on the tostadas , and top with the remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with salsa of your choice.