There is so much power in the plant kingdom for health and healing. And from vibrant fruits and vegetables, irresistible nuts and grains, to wonderfully delicious and umami-rich mushrooms, it’s all really good eating!
Research shows that plant-based diets are cost-effective, low-risk interventions that may lower body mass index, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. They may also reduce the number of medications needed to treat chronic diseases.
If you don’t want to forgo animal products, mushrooms really are an amazing companion food to meat or an excellent meat-substitute due to their meaty texture and adaptable taste profile. They are also easy to find and prepare, making mealtimes a cinch.
The diverse flavours of mushrooms can expand your palate and reinvigorate your appetite and tastebuds. Visit www.mushroominfo.co.za for plant-based burgers, pizza, buddha bowls and curries that will literally open up your world.
Umami Mushroom Rigatoni
- 250g rigatoni pasta (or another similar short pasta)
- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- 250g portabellini mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook rigatoni in boiling salted water, until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, scrape out the black gills from the underside of the portabellos with a teaspoon. Cut each portabello in half and then cut each half into four chunky wedges.
- Slice portabellinis into quarters.
- Heat oil and butter in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook mushrooms, tossing them often until just tender and golden brown.
- Pour in the soy sauce and cook until absorbed.
- Turn the heat down.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, salt, pepper, and a splash of pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta and toss gently to coat in the mushroom sauce.
- Keep adding pasta water as needed to achieve a silky, shiny sauce.
- Serve pasta with squeeze of fresh lemon juice and extra freshly ground black pepper.