Let me set the scene. Oreo wanted us to create our very own festive-type holiday inspired recipe, incorporating their new brand Oreo Golden. Sounds great, hey? Yeah totally, except for a small problem…..I hate baking. I hate that there are so many rules. I hate that you can’t just add stuff and live like a free house elf!
But I never say no to a challenge. Ever. So I sat down, pondered over a Golden Oreo and a cup of tea and came up with my own Easy-Peasy-Kinda – Festive – Cupcakes! Believe me, if I can make these successfully, then so can you.
Banana, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Golden Oreo with a
Golden Oreo Centre Cream Cheese Topping.
Makes 24 (if you don’t eat the batter like me and end up with 22)
2 boxes Golden Oreos (we’re going to use them a variety of ways)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup vegetable/sunflower oil
1¼ cups sugar
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
230g full fat smooth cream cheese
½ cup butter
½ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Mash the bananas. Add cinnamon and vanilla essence.
- Vigorously beat the oil, sugar and eggs together until pale yellow.
- Mix the banana mixture and eggy-oily-sugary mixture together.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly. It will be very, very thick. Don’t freak out. It works. Roughly break +- 10 Oreos into the mix and stir.
- Put cupcakes holders in a baking tray. Halve the Oreos by twisting them (yeah, you learnt that from the TV ad) and place one in each cupcake holder, icing side up.
- Dollop the batter on top of each Oreo and cook at 180 for 20 minutes. Check on them by poking one with a knife. If it comes out clean, it’s cooked.
- Mix the butter, cream cheese and the centre of 10 Oreos well (we’ll use the outsides to decorate). Sift in icing sugar. You can use more if you like, I don’t like it too sweet. Mix mix mix.
- Once the cupcakes are 100% cooled, smear on some icing, top with one of the half Oreo biscuits, crushed Oreo or fresh sliced banana.
I swear to you, this is super easy and really delicious. And when you show your peeps that there is a cute little Oreo hiding at the bottom, they will swoon. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
One last thing – if you’re up in Jozi make sure to head on over to the food court at The Zone at Rosebank on 2nd, 3rd, 4th December to get your very own #GoldenSelfie at the Oreo Golden WonderSelfie event.
Look out for Oreo Golden available in stores nationwide from October 2016. #LetWonderOut with Oreo on Facebook and Twitter @Oreo.