De Grendel scooped a total of 18 Veritas Awards at the 27th Veritas Awards – 10 more than we received in the 2016 awards. Most notably, Gold for De Grendel Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2010 and De Grendel Shiraz 2016.
We are very happy that the De Grendel Shiraz has maintained its top place in its category. The De Grendel Shiraz 2015 was awarded Double Gold by Veritas last year and we are very happy that we could follow this up with a gold medal for our 2016 Shiraz. I predicted that the red wines we produced during this hot, dry spell we are experiencing in the Western Cape would be winners and it has proven to be the case – says Charles Hopkins, cellar master at De Grendel.
The De Grendel Shiraz has won no less than eight medals at Veritas over the past 11 vintages, including four Double Gold medals.
“Our Shiraz is made with grapes from three established blocks that we’ve been using for six years now. These blocks deliver low yields, which makes them perfect for our Shiraz. The grapes from the three blocks are prepared in three stylistically different ways and then the trick lies in blending these into the perfect Shiraz,” says Hopkins.
“The De Grendel Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2013 was awarded four prestigious wine accolades last year and is encouraging to see that the 2010 vintage is also being recognized for its excellence. It shows that our reds mature over time to produce truly wonderful wines,” he continues.
De Grendel Veritas 2017 winners
- De Grendel Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2010 – Gold
- De Grendel Shiraz 2016 – Gold
- De Grendel Winifred Viognier/Sémillon/Chardonnay 2017 – Silver
- De Grendel Op Die Berg Chardonnay 2016 – Silver
- De Grendel Op Die Berg Chardonnay 2015 – Silver
- De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc 2017 – Silver
- De Grendel Koetshuis Sauvignon Blanc 2017 – Silver
- De Grendel Viognier 2017 – Silver
- De Grendel Rubaiyat 2014 – Silver
- De Grendel Rubaiyat 2013 – Silver
- De Grendel Amandelboord Pinotage 2015 – Silver
- De Grendel Shiraz 2014 – Silver
- De Grendel Shiraz 2013 – Silver
- De Grendel Koetshuis Sauvignon Blanc 2016 – Bronze
- De Grendel Rosé 2017 – Bronze
- De Grendel Merlot 2015 – Bronze
- De Grendel Merlot 2013 – Bronze
- De Grendel Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2013 – Bronze