Give the gift of supporting proudly local businesses this December with Browse Local.
Once again, it looks like Christmas shopping will have a different ring to it. This marks our second year celebrating the holiday season in a pandemic and it’s time to change our retail habits. Since the announcement of the lockdown in March 2020, businesses around the country have felt the pressure, which is why Browse Local has taken on the job of shifting mindsets to support South African businesses no matter their size through their virtual marketplace.
The story of Browse Local
To empower all local brands, big or small, Browse Local was launched by besties Jor and Gee in June this year. “I had only been back in SA for a year having moved to Durbs after spending six years on a secluded island in the middle of the Indian Ocean, when I met Gee who had moved down to the ocean after leaving the Joburg corporate world,” says co-founder Jordyn Mackenzie. “We instantly hit it off,” chimes in her confidante and co-founder Gina Arntzen. “Not only did we become Durban Sisters, but we started working together; solving the world’s problems in the workplace and matters of the heart.”
After many a discussion (over a bottle or two of vino) of how to end the tedious battle that was Covid and how to make South Africa a better place, they stumbled upon the idea of Browse Local; mostly thanks to Gee’s love and knowledge for everything ‘Local’, and Jor’s impatience at not being able to find stunning local brands all in one place.
And so, Browse Local was born: an online market space that brings together South African businesses in one virtual space allowing average consumers to discover amazing local talent with a stroke of a keyboard.
Support local, support South Africa
It’s clear that entrepreneurship is a passion for the twosome and for them, there’s no better gift than supporting local businesses especially in today’s climate. “As the world shut down, we all had to re-evaluate what was important to us,” says Jor. “The very existence of local businesses hung on the support from their communities while others sprang from barely anything.”
It was clearly not business as usual. With rising unemployment, supporting locally became vital not only for the future of the country, but also for the families relying on them. Which is where Browse Local comes in. Now, these local entrepreneurs are more accessible to the public and are able to grow their customer base even further.
“Uplifting South Africa’s economy and making a meaningful contribution to the progress which promotes social and economic change in South Africa, that’s what is important to us and to many South African’s out there,” answers Gee.
Your gifting season guide
A quick scroll through Browse Local will introduce you to some of the most talented entrepreneurs in the country right now, and you get the added bonus of avoiding the chaos of the mall this season! What more do you need? From sleepwear and jewellery to handmade toys and custom art, you are bound to find something whether you are looking for a yearend gift for your boss or a little show of appreciation to your bestie. “We may be biased, but we love all the brands on our site,” laughs Jor. But, for those who don’t know where to start, Gee and Jor have picked out just a few standouts to help you choose.
- For the balmy warm weather that we are heading towards, Salty C’s costume range is a must-have – she also supports local artists in creating her prints.
- Sleeping in summer can challenging, so a pair of Hedgerow summer PJs is essential – 100% cotton, 100% breathable.
- No matter how busy we all get, looking after our immune system is a must – which is where The Harvest Table’s wide range of health products. The Harvest Table has beautiful tester kits which are ideal for gifting to the health fanatics in the family!
- Straps by Kirst, Cheeky Mantwa and Golden Thread Boutique have fashionable and beautifully crafted small items that are perfect stocking fillers.
- As we know, the sun is harsh on our skin. Luckily, Le Live and Aureum have the perfect locally crafted formulas to offer individuals what they need to keep their December Glow on!
Join the #BrowseLocal movement.