17 March is St Patrick’s Day. Thankfully it happens every year and lasts the whole day.
It’s a day where we all celebrate being a little bit Irish – be it in blood or in spirit.
The fact that St Patrick’s Day is celebrated all around the world is just one way in which we see how being Irish has blended into so many different communities, cultures, and nationalities. And as St Patrick’s Day is celebrated slightly differently wherever you may be in the world shows how easily being Irish mixes with every other culture.
The celebratory spirit is the common theme that runs through all communities that celebrate St Patrick’s Day, but how it plays out in various countries is rather surprising.
- Perhaps the most well-known example is how the Chicago River is dyed bright green, while in Sydney the iconic opera house building dons green lighting. In Tokyo, the Irish Settlers dog club dress up their pooches and parade them in the street, while in Brazil Christ the Redeemer takes on an Irish green glow, and even the leaning Tower of Pizza turns green.
While green is the predominant expression of St Patrick’s Day, what it symbolises is the common thread of joy and celebration that intersects every nation and culture that has been touched by the Irish spirit. More than this, the celebration of St Patrick’s Day is accompanied by a strong dose of Irish etiquette, such as friendly greetings to strangers, and generosity and reciprocity during social exchanges.
So, this St Patrick’s Day, let’s celebrate diversity. Let’s look at how the blending of cultures in South Africa and across the world makes life so much more enjoyable. One such example is the perfect blend of the award-winning Irish Whiskey Tullamore D.E.W, and the South African favourite that’s gone global the sparkling apple sider Appletiser. Both of these are simply delicious to drink on their own, however when you blend these two together, something truly magical happens – and because both bottles are green, you’ll certainly be celebrating St Patrick’s Day in style.
Tullamore D.E.W and Appletiser
- 50ml Tullamore D.E.W original
- 200ml Appletiser
- 3 slices of green apple
- Fill a highball glass with ice
- Pleasure the ice by adding 50ml Tullamore D.E.W original
- Top up with 200ml of Appletiser
- Garnish with a fan of fresh apple slices
Tullamore D.E.W is available in all leading alcohol distributors and retails for R299.95 for 750ml!