Russian composer Igor Stravinsky described one of his musical-choreographic works that was eventually to rank among the most influential of the 20th century as “a unified idea: the mystery and great surge of the creative power of Spring”.
The same inspiration for that work – The Rite of Spring – now drives the Durbanville Wine Valley in its exclusive wine-and-dine collaboration this September.
Just 20 minutes from Cape Town CBD, wineries and restaurants across the region have teamed up to present a series of unforgettable dinners.
- Each takes place on a selected Wednesday and features a four or five-course meal at a different venue each week.
The collaborations are between chefs, venues, and wineries. This ensures a broad showcase of Durbanville’s offerings from terroir to locations and exquisite dishes. The emphasis of the events is on intimate and premier experiences.
Menu highlights include fabulous creations such as Rooibos-glazed quail with textures of apple and parsnip, perfectly seared tuna, oak-smoked Stanford cheese, slow roast pork belly with brown butter mash; bruleéd Italian meringue with fennel chocolate; and, much more. Each is paired with wines from Durbanville. Varieties and styles that will be cast in the limelight include evergreen favourites such as locally-produced Cap Classique; lesser known but equally excellent Gewűrtztraminer; formidable Pinotages and Sauvignon Blancs; and, delectable Noble Late Harvest.
The collaborations take place on
- September 1 at De Grendel, 18:00, with Diemersdal and Groot Phesantekraal. The dinner is priced at R750 pp.
- September 8 at Tables @ Nitída, 18:30, with Altydgedacht, Hillcrest and Carlucci’s Meerendal. The Spring Collaboration dinner is priced at R550 pp.
- September 15 at The Farm Eatery @ Diemersdal, 18:00, with Canto, Groot Phesantekraal, Diemersdal and Bloemendal. Tickets to the event are R700 pp.
- September 29 at Cassia @ Nitída, 18:30, with Maastricht, Tangram Durbanville Hills and Jean Klein Roosboom. The dinner is priced at R550 pp.
Tickets to the wine and dine experiences in September may be purchased online at http://durbanvillewine.co.za/events/.