Veggies have come a long way since Meatless Monday.
They’re celebrated on restaurant menus, supermarkets are lining up their shelves with veggie-based meals and home cooks have been fired up by fast and easy meatless meals. Top of the heap are umami-rich mushrooms. Not only are they spectacular in the flavour category, they’re also low in fat, high in fibre and antioxidants and packed with vitamins and minerals.
To celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Week (10 May – 16 May), we’ve highlighted some of our favourite recipes:
- Oriental Mushroom Tacos
- Caramelised Onion, Mushroom & Mascarpone Crustless Quiche
- Wholewheat spaghetti with mushrooms, kale and hazelnuts
ORIENTAL MUSHROOM TACOS
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Takes a bit of effort
- 4 fresh Portobello (big brown) mushrooms, cleaned, or 500g Button or Portabellini mushrooms, cleaned and threaded onto wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 3tbsp Korean barbecue marinade (available at Woolworths), or other barbecue marinade of your choice
- 1 baby cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 1tsp wasabi
- 6tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 4 soft tacos (any flat-bread will work)
- ½ avocado, sliced
- handful coriander leaves
- lemon wedges, grilled on the braai until caramelized, about 5 minutes
- Brush the mushrooms with the barbecue marinade and place straight onto a medium-hot braai, basting with more barbecue sauce as you go, and turning until mushrooms are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cabbage, carrot, onion, wasabi and mayonnaise.
- Toast soft tacos on the braai, a couple of seconds on each side.
- Remove mushrooms from the braai, slice into thick strips, and divide between tacos. Top with slaw, avocado and coriander. Serve immediately with grilled lemon wedges.