Spoil mom this Mother’s Day (Sunday, 10 May) with some heart-healthy treats and desserts from Pharma Dynamics’ Cooking from the Heart cookbook.
The Cooking from the Heart cookbooks contain more than 100 recipes that have been developed for Pharma Dynamics by well-known healthy food consultant, Heleen Meyer and dietitians from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. They are all easy to make, affordable and consist of essential ingredients, which make them ideal for cooking during the lockdown.
Try these delicious heart-healthy treats that’s sure to warm mom’s heart this Sunday:
Chocolate Cake Recipe
There is nothing like some chocolate to treat yourself. This is so easy to bake and ideal for Mother’s Day or to celebrate a birthday while in lockdown.
- 3 cups (750 ml) cake flour
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) cocoa
- 2 cups (500 ml) hot water
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white grape vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
- 150 ml sugar
- 300 ml water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soft tub margarine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cocoa
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to a 180 °C and line a large rectangular (20 x 30 cm) baking tin or oven dish with baking paper.
- Sift all dry ingredients together. Mix the liquids together and gradually fold into the dry ingredients. Pour batter into tin or dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool.
- Topping: Meanwhile, place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a pot and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently. Stir until the mixture thickens. Cool slightly and pour over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Go to www.cookingfromtheheart.co.za to download your favourite Cooking from the Heart recipes – free of charge!
For more tips on heart-healthy cooking during the lockdown, follow Cooking from the Heart author, Heleen Meyer on Facebook!
The Cooking from the Heart initiative forms part of Pharma Dynamics’ overall wellness campaign, to promote healthy eating among the South African public in a practical, affordable and tasty way.