Have you made plans for the Easter weekend yet?
The long weekend is nearly here which means the family will be gathering for an Easter feast. For some a religious holiday, for other’s it’s just an occasion to spend more time with the extended family. However you decide to celebrate, there’s bound to be a lot of food and we’re here to help highlighting a few delicious meals that are perfect to snack on or something for in-between.
Baby Button Mushroom Stuffed Avocados
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 200g baby button mushrooms
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red pepper
- Handful fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 fresh chilli, finely diced
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Slice the baby buttons into quarters and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add them to the bowl. Brunoise or finely dice the red pepper and add it to the mix.
- Finely slice the basil and add it to the bowl along with the olive oil, basil pesto, vinegar, fresh chilli and a good amount of salt and pepper. Toss everything until well coated.
- Slice the avos in half and carefully peel them and remove the pips. Cut a small piece off the bottom of each half so that they can sit flat on a plate.
- Brush the avo halves generously all over with lemon juice.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into each half and serve with an extra wedge of lemon.
- 50ml Cape Fynbos Gin
- Pomegranate rubies
- Fresh green chilli slices
- 150ml tonic water
Fill desired glass with ice and add the pomegranate and a few slices of fresh chilli. Pour in the Cape Fynbos Gin and top with tonic.
Gin Pairing Note:
The botanicals found along the coast of the Western Cape make wonderful accompaniments to light dishes and summertime suppers. Packed full of these Cape botanicals, Cape Fynbos Gin is the perfect match for this zesty dish of mushroom stuffed avocados. The rich mouth feel of the avocado is cut perfectly by the clean and herbaceous notes found in the Cape Fynbos Gin.