As we commemorate the remarkable legacy of Nelson Mandela, we invite you to embark on a culinary journey that pays tribute to the rich cultural heritage of South Africa.
In honor of Mandela Day, we present a delightful and flavorsome dish that showcases the vibrant and diverse flavors of the Rainbow Nation: Mushroom Chakalaka.
Chakalaka, a beloved South African relish, is known for its zesty, spicy, and aromatic qualities. This unique recipe takes the traditional chakalaka and gives it a delightful twist by incorporating earthy and meaty mushrooms, elevating it to new heights of culinary pleasure.
Mushroom Chakalaka is a celebration of the bountiful produce of South Africa, combining the aromatic spices, fresh vegetables, and the natural goodness of mushrooms. With every bite, you’ll experience a harmonious medley of flavors that dance on your palate, capturing the essence of South African cuisine.
So, join us in this culinary adventure as we honor the spirit of Madiba, embracing unity and diversity, and savoring the mouthwatering flavors of Mushroom Chakalaka. Let this dish remind us of the extraordinary strength and resilience that unites us all as South Africans.
Mushroom Chakalaka Recipe
Serves 8 as a side / accompaniment
- 500g portabellini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp / thumb sized piece ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp curry powder, mild, medium or hot
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serve alongside your favourite braai dishes
- In a large deep sauté pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the onion and a good pinch of salt.
- Fry until tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder.
- Cook until fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers and carrots and mix well.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and rinse the tin out with about half a cup of water and add it in.
- Simmer everything together for ± 15 minutes until the flavours are well melded.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
Serve alongside your favourite braai dishes and enjoy!