Dad, you mean the world to us and this Father’s Day, each of us is giving you our whole heart… in the form of an avocado, of course!
Avos really are where love lives because they’re so good for your heart, well-being, energy and happiness.
Avocados contain a range of vitamins, minerals, and fibre, not to mention all those good-for-you fats that give you sustained energy. And in South Africa, avocados are in season right now, from the silky, green-skinned avos, all the way to the nutty, knobbly dark-skinned avos!
Dad, we know you love your avo toast most mornings, so instead we’re making something extra special for your celebratory Father’s Day lunch on June 19 – Greek inspired Cheats Lamb Burgers with Avocado (recipe below). Everyone loves a good burger, especially one piled high with the glorious green flesh of rich-tasting avocados.
We really want you to enjoy life Dad, and avocados make the best of every single plate. They have a unique, almost irresistible flavour that somehow combines with all sorts of meats, vegetables, herbs and spices to make them better together… like a family really!
Add an avo to any braai for that extra bit of luxe, and let’s not forget chips – both crisps and fries – come alive with a bowl of good guacamole. You can even eat half an avo in a rush as you dash out the door when you’re late, so you’re full up and set up the right way for the day ahead.
So many people say that food is better than… well, almost anything. But the truth is any food with an avocado is better than… (we’ll leave you to fill in your own blank there, Dad)!
Add an avo for a super happy – and tasty – Father’s Day.
Greek Inspired Cheats Lamb Burger with Avocado
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500 g Greek style lamb sausages
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 hamburger buns, halved and toasted
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) Hummus, store-bought or homemade
- 2 small avocados, peeled and stoned
- Salad leaves or butter lettuce
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Tzatziki, store bought or homemade
- Remove the lamb sausage meat from the casing, discard the casings, and divide the meat into 4 equal portions. Roll the lamb sausage meat into patties and flatten slightly. Preheat a non- stick frying pan over medium heat and gently cook the lamb patties until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- In the same frying pan, don’t wipe the pan out, add the onions and sauté until golden brown.
- To assemble, spread a tablespoon of hummus onto each hamburger bun, and top with lettuce and tomato, and a dollop of tzatziki, followed by the lamb patties and top with mashed avocado and the fried onion.