Owned and run by German chef Harald Bresselschmidt, Aubergine is a sophisticated, intimate restaurant in Cape Town which combines a rich history with contemporary style, innovative food and classic service – whether you’re joining us for lunch or dinner.
The goal has been to create a culinary haven in the heart of Cape Town, a place that discerning locals and international visitors can return to for a unique, sensory dining experience.
The chef’s team uses fundamental cooking techniques combined with an obsession for balance, together with the imagination and artistry inspired by Harald’s creativity.
Aubergine serves timeless dishes, with Eastern and Western influences that take cognisance of seasonal flavours and local ingredients. Light, balanced food that excites your senses, piques your curiosity, makes you sigh with delight, and leaves you satisfied and energised.
The restaurant has always sourced fresh produce directly from farmers and trusted suppliers, ensuring the origin of the ingredients as well as the integrity with which they are produced. They strive to adhere to sustainable seafood practices where possible and use free-range meat and produce sourced from two organic vegetable gardens in Stellenbosch.
Dinner: Tuesday – Saturday from 18h00
Tapas: Wednesday – Saturday from 17h00
What’s on the Tapas Menu?
The brand new tapas menu at Aubergine will be available Wednesday – Saturday from 17h00 in the evening with a varity of savoury and sweet options to choose from.
- Spanish Omelette with caramelized onions R55
- West Coast Mussels, Mediterranean sauce, brioche crumbs R60
- Chicken & Mushroom Croquettes with anchovy mayonnaise R65
- Fried Calamari with red rice, coriander-chilli sauce R75
- Line Fish with pesto fried in phyllo pastry and pickled lemon emulsion R85
- Spicy Meatballs with roti, cumin-chilli yoghurt R75
- Iberico Salami Baguette emulsion of tomato, apples and almonds R55
- Strawberry Tartlet with Diplomat crème R75
- Spring – Blueberry accents, coconut streusel, lemon crémeux and lavender ice cream R75
An Exciting a la Carte Dinner Menu
Aubergine Restaurant has opened up for dinner servings again every Tuesday – Saturday!
The menu includes a range of options so there’s something for everyone, but if you have any dietary requirements, you’re welcome to contact the restaurant in advance for adapted or additional dishes.
- Beef Tartare & Veal Tongue with turnips, rhubarb and fermented bread soil R175
- Seafood Bisque prawn wonton, mussels, fish with spekboom R175
- Ocean Trout poached in dashi, lightly smoked on the skin, grapefruit and fennel R155
- Calamari red rice filling, herb salad, chilli-coriander dressing R135
Vegetarian starter/2nd course
- Rice Paper Cone of stir-fried vegetables, mushrooms and cashew nuts with black bean salsa R145
- Aubergine Confit & Ricotta with red onion and prune, set on sundried tomato coulis R135
- Burrata Mozzarella with aged balsamic, avocado and green oil R155
- Potato Gnocchi with broad beans, blue cheese and beetroot chips R145 / R185
- Cape Sea Harvest with turmeric root aroma, celeriac puree and candy beets and pickled lemon yoghurt R215
- Pasture Raised Beef sauce with forest mushroom, green bean purée, potato puffs R245
- Iberico Pork from Wellington parmesan and oregano crumbed, ensemble of green organic vegetables, burnt apple puree R185
- Lamb Baron from Riebeek Kasteel rolled and slow roasted, with white bean puree, black garlic, purple potatoes and horseradish R215
- Springbok Loin with barberry sauce, cocoa-celeriac tortellini, mange tout and smoked celeriac R215
Vegetables for the Table
- Grilled Pumpkin Trio with pumpkinseed oil R70
- Baby Beets & Potatoes, sautéed with desert salt and savoury herb R75
- Cheese – South African Artisan cheese selection with condiments and nut and fruit bread R185
- Spring- Blueberry accents, coconut streusel, lemon crémeux and lavender ice cream R180
- Earth – Caramelia mousse, truffle soil, mushrooms, chocolate-naartjie sorbet R175
- Brûlée – Vanilla aroma with chilli-berry jam, kataifi and compressed berries R165