There are reasons to celebrate!
It’s National Red Wine Day on 29 August – and what timing that is! Now that we can enjoy a glass of our favourite red wine again, we’re going to celebrate the only way we know. By cooking up a storm and pairing it with out favourite drink.
Something else you maybe didn’t know is that red wine goes superbly with a hearty mushroom dish.
And what better time to enjoy a warm mushroom meal than on National Red Wine Day?
The Mushroom Farmers Association is back again with some great mushroom recipes to pair with that rich terroir – red wine in the food, red wine in the glass. When we celebrate, we do it properly.
Mushroom & Quinoa Burger Paired with Blacksmith Wines Limbo Red
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ½ uncooked)
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 4 burger buns of choice, toasted
- Lettuce, *mayonnaise, cucumber ribbons, red onion slices, bean sprouts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prick sweet potato all over with a fork; rub with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast directly on an oven rack until tender, 45-60 minutes. (Place a baking tray below to catch any drippings) Allow to cool. Remove and discard skin; mash flesh with a fork. Set aside.
- Roughly chop portobello mushrooms and blitz in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over low. Cook shallot and chilli flakes, until shallot is tender. Add mushrooms and cook until they release all their liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Add breadcrumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mashed sweet potato and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide mixture into 4 and form into patties, pressing firmly together with your hands. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium and cook patties until golden brown and the edges are crisp.
- Build burgers with all the fixings and serve straight away.
Wine Pairing Suggestion: Blacksmith Wines Limbo Red
This veggie burger and red blend are a match made in heaven. Both are juicy, crunchy and on the lighter, fresher side. This fruity wine has hints of strawberry, raspberry and red cherry. The bright tannins pair nicely with the little hint of spice from the chilli flakes and the touch of sweetness from the sweet potato in the burger. Both are utterly scrumptious and complimentary.