The next time you plan to enjoy a juicy, lazy-aged steak, why not add some delicious extras to elevate your dish to a gourmet level?
Serve your grilled sirloin with roasted aubergines a sprinkle of punchy gremolata, and a glass of Spier’s 21 Gables Cabernet Sauvignon, for a feast of note. If you dress your whole, roasted aubergines with a drizzle of extra virgin olive, it results in marrow-like flesh with a deeply aromatic, exquisite taste that makes for a smooth, delicious puree – a great accompaniment for steak.
Grilled sirloin steak with roasted aubergine puree and gremolata
- 2 large aubergines
- Extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling and frying)
- salt & pepper
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely grated)
- rind of one small lemon (finely grated)
- 250 g sirloin steak (per person)
- your choice of pan-fried greens for serving – tender stem broccoli is a good choice
Preheat the oven to 230 °C. Use a fork to poke holes here and there across the aubergines. Place the aubergines on a wire rack on top of a baking tray lined with foil, then roast for 1 hour. Remove and leave to cool slightly, then peel carefully and discard the blackened skins. Transfer the tender flesh to a blender or small processor, add a splash of olive oil and season with salt & pepper, then process to a smooth puree. Set aside.
For the gremolata:
- Mix the chopped parsley, garlic and lemon rind in a small bowl and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
For the steaks
- Brush the steaks on all sides with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Heat a griddle pan to smoking hot, then grill on both sides for about 7 minutes in total until medium rare (or adjust to your liking). Remove the steaks and let them rest for 3 minutes)
- To serve, plate some warmed aubergine puree, top with rested grilled steak and pan-fried greens, sprinkle with the gremolata and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and serve at once.
About the wine
Spier 21 Gables Cabernet Sauvignon provides an abundance of cassis and violets with concentrated aromas of cedar and pencil lead. A full-bodied wine with a concentrated structure and opulent finish.