Five wines from Durbanville Valley winery Nitida have scored 90 points or more in the latest 2020 Tim Atkin Report which was released recently.
- Nitida Calligraphy 2018 (90)
- Nitida Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (91)
- Nitida Coronata Integration 2019 (92)
- Nitida Golden Orb Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (93)
- Nitida Wild Child 2019 (94)
Says Nitida owner Bernhard Veller:
We are thrilled that five of our wines scored high in Tim’s report. It is a strong validation that we are producing some of the best wines in the country and a testament to not only the dedication and hard work of our winemaker but also everyone who works at the winery.
Says Atkin about South African wines: “Overall, I am extremely impressed with the quality of what I tasted in 2020, especially from the 2017 and 2019 vintages. 2017 in particular deserves its place among the best-ever Cape harvests, as good as and, in some cases, even better than 2015. Against formidable odds, South Africa is making some of the greatest wines in its history.”
Atkin’s report is normally based on two visits he makes to the Western Cape annually but, due to Covid-19 restrictions, he was unable to travel to the winelands from his home in the UK and instead he tasted 1,328 wines in London and conducted over 50 Zoom calls. While this year’s report is shorter than usual, Atkin believes it still presents an accurate and useful overview of the South African wine scene.
“These are very difficult times for many people in the Cape wine industry, so I hope that my report, now in its eighth edition, will provide a chink of light and some much needed focus on the best South African wines.
“I sincerely hope that the reviews and scores in my report, as well as the Medals of Excellence given to producers whose wines have scored more than 90 points, will ensure that more people are made aware of the outstanding quality of South African wines. More than ever, we need to tell the world!”
Win an all-inclusive three night stay at the Eastern Cape luxury game lodge Kwandwe
Anyone placing an order for 12 bottles or more of Nitida wine, via the farm’s website (www.nitida.co.za) or by emailing email@example.com, will automatically be entered into a draw to win one of five fabulous prizes:
- an all-inclusive three night stay at the Eastern Cape luxury game lodge Kwandwe;
- a day with Nitida winemaker Etienne Louw and sumptuous picnic for four;
- a unique experience with the Cape Leopard Trust (CLT) and overnight stay in the Cederberg;
- an exhilarating tandem jump with Mothercity Skydive;
- a fine dining dinner for four at the acclaimed Cassia Restaurant, with award-winning Nitida wine included.
The competition closes on Tuesday, September 29, with winners chosen at random on September 30 and notified via email on October 1, 2020.
Delivery of all wine orders of 12 or more bottles is free of charge to major centres.