Still not sure what to cook up on Heritage Day with the entire family coming over?
We’ve got the Mushroom Association of South Africa to thank for this fantastic recipe that will be a huge hit with everyone attending this coming public holiday and weekend. Mushrooms already being healthy, these nutritional wonders have been combined with your favourite local craft beers to bring a twist to this year’s Heritage Day feast.
- Beer Battered Mushrooms
- Cheese & Mushroom Loaded Baguette
Cheese & Mushroom Loaded Baguette
- 1 large fresh white baguette, cut into 3 individual portions
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 250g portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 cup / 125g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set oven to grill setting and allow to heat.
- Slice the baguette portions in half and spread the softened butter on the inside of both halves. Toast the bread either in a pan over medium low heat or on the top rack of an oven until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
- In a large pan sauté the mushroom slices in olive oil until golden brown. Season with mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pan saute the onion and peppers for 5 min until they have softened.
- To construct the sandwich lay the bottom of each baguette portion on a baking sheet. Begin layering the onions and peppers, followed by a sprinkling of grated cheese, then mushrooms, then another sprinkle of cheese. Repeat until all toppings have been used or you have reached your desired level of filling.
- Place the sandwich halves in the oven under the grill. Grill for 2-3 min or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven, top with the other baguette half and serve.