Cape Town premier speak easy bar Art of Duplicity will be hosting a 6-week series of slam poetry, spoken word, and freestyle sessions running throughout October and into November.
Supported by the premium Irish Whiskey Tullamore D.E.W, the sessions will provide local poets the opportunity to showcase the exceptional talent and diverse perspectives prevalent in South Africa.
Art of Duplicity master mixologist Brent Perrimore explains that the opportunity to host exceptional intellectual and creative talent at the speak easy bar is extremely exciting and reflects his own personal belief in sharing and celebrating the diverse cultures that makes South Africa a truly remarkable country.
The intention of Art of Duplicity was to always provide guests with a space where conversations could be shared while listening to South African talent, and enjoying the remarkable cocktail blends that we create. The poetry series is yet another wonderful way for guests to experience the true intention of why we created the Art of Duplicity space.
The sessions will be hosted in the Art of Duplicity bar in Buitenkant Street Cape Town every Wednesday evening between 18:00 and 19:30; with each session allowing approximately 10 poets time to perform their original poems to a small, and appreciative audience.
The confirmed dates and times:
- Wednesday, 7 October 18:00 – 19:30
- Wednesday, 14 October 18:00 – 19:30
- Wednesday, 21 October 18:00 – 19:30
- Wednesday, 28 October 18:00 – 19:30
- Wednesday, 4 November 18:00 – 19:30
- Wednesday, 11 November 18:00 – 19:30
The series will be supported by the premium Irish Whiskey Tullamore D.E.W which celebrates the beauty of blends.
Tullamore D.E.W South Africa brand manager Shaun Stemmett says that this partnership is a natural fit for Tullamore D.E.W, the premium Irish Whiskey. “Tullamore D.E.W is all about the outcomes of beauty as a result of blending things; be it the blending of liquids, cultures, people, ideas, beliefs, or creativity,” Stemmett says. “Throughout the series, Brent Perrimore and the team at Art of Duplicity will be making world-class cocktails using Tullamore D.E.W, which patrons can purchase and enjoy during the performances.”
How Poets Can Book a Time Slot
- Seven pre-booking slots will be allowed for each session, with 3 slots allowed for open mic walk ins. We call on all poets that wish to participate to contact Art of Duplicity via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via DM on Instagram.
To Book A Table
- In accordance with Covid-19 regulations, Art of Duplicity will allow a maximum of 30 guests into the bar space – therefore prebooking of tables is encouraged. To book your table, please visit 170120.co.za.
Social distancing measures will be maintained, and the maximum sanitation protocols will be followed to ensure the safety of all performers and supporters.